Leipzig, Innere Nordvorstadt: map dated 1943

Inner City North is a small area squished between the main train station and the much larger City-Northwest with Gohlis to the north. One of the tram stops, park and church on Nordplatz (tram line 12) marks the approximate centre of the residential area.

The most visible landmark is the huge Westin hotel in the southern part of the area nearest the inner city. This part is mostly offices and hotels including the wonderfully derelict "Hotel Astoria". The northern part has some lovely residential streets such as Lumumbastr. and Trufanowstr., with loads of shops and restaurants nearby on Gohliser Str. The borders to Gohlis Süd and Gohlis Mitte are flowing here. The Innere Nordvorstadt lies directly opposite the renowned and internationally known Leipzig Zoo. The residential environment on Nordplatz is dominated by the Michaeliskirche church and Wilhelminian-style and Art Nouveau buildings. As a popular local recreation area, the Rosental is within walking distance in a few minutes and the pulsating city centre of Leipzig is within walking distance anyway.

In the very early days "Löhrs Garten" was located in the inner Nordvorstadt. It was a civic garden north of Leipzig's city centre in the 18th and 19th centuries. It was bordered in the south by the promenade, in the west by Pfaffendorfer Straße and in the north by the little river Parthe. In the east it reached approximately up to today's Nordstr. The Leipzig banker and councillor E. H. Löhr (1725-1798) had the garden laid out in 1770/1771 on a swampy area in the style of an English landscape park. The southern end of the garden was Löhr's house, today the Hotel Fuerstenhof. After Löhr's death, the park was given the name "Keils Garten" after his heirs. The last owner of the garden, Dr. Adolph Keil, had the property gradually parcelled out from 1870 onwards and sold the remaining property and the house to Leipziger Immobiliengesellschaft A. G. in 1886 (fa ormer private developer, founded in 1872, liquidated in World War II) which allowed the property to be completely built on.

During the Second World War, large parts of the northern suburb were destroyed. Only in Uferstraße, Humboldtstraße and Pfaffendorfer Straße did a closed structure remain.

We`ll organize it!